A blog about all things rural and agritourism related
We are Hiring: Project Manager & DesignerMay 17, 2022
Tags: sustainable design, VELD team Categories: VELD architect
VELD architect located in Ontario has a rare opening for a reliable Project Manager & Designer interested in joining a client-focused and design-driven practice. We are raising rural and telling the story of rural Ontario through barn conversions and agritourism. Our mission is to save 50 barns in the next 25 years! All our work uses passive house, low energy, or sustainable principles for better buildings. We aim to create new rural architecture as powerful as heritage architecture!
Here are the features and benefits we offer at VELD architect:
- Remote work hours (25-40 hours/week)
- Flexible schedule, as long as you can meet project deadlines
- Development and control over Revit standards. We are looking for someone to whip some architects into shape!
- Creative and unique details with barn conversions, passive house, and agritourism. We know you are sick of copying and pasting details; ours are less than typical!
- Hourly employee position
- Responsible for production of drawings from the design through to permit drawings phases in close collaboration with project architects and production staff
- Responsible for improving, maintaining, training, and meeting drawing quality standards for the office
- Research products and implement into models and details
- Manage project Revit models
- Prepare client presentations and present design concepts and drawings
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining project budgets and schedules
- Attend on-site visits, field reviews, and project meetings
- Responsible for coordinating with clients, public agencies, consultants, and contractors as required
- Responsible for the production of team drawings and quality assurance.
- Contribute to a team environment
- MUST be detailed oriented personality
- MUST be able to work independently and disciplined to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to communicate and meet with team and owner regularly via meetings, text, and Project Management software (Zoho Projects)
- Follow and improve existing processes.
Specific Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with Revit modeling
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in managing architectural projects in Ontario
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with wood construction and a firm grasp of building science in Ontario.
- Experience with site plan approval and authority approvals in Ontario
- Passive house familiarity is an asset
- Farm experience is a bonus
In addition to the regular project management and production, you will be responsible for the CAD standards in the office and making productivity improvements. We see your first year targeting these goals:
- 90 days -familiarize with VELD systems and training, and determine a plan for efficiencies
- 120 days – refresh existing templates and minor improvements
- 210 days – make improvements to templates for improved efficiency and long term goals
- 365 days – establish standards, train staff, update standard operating procedures
There is a three-step hiring process. Applicants who do not follow this process will be eliminated:
Step 1: Fill out this form and answer the questions.
Upload your resume and cover letter there as well. Video submission to answer the questions is highly encouraged, and you can add a link to the video or upload it there.
Step 2: We will review the applicants and request further information from those of interest. Shortlisted applicants will be required to take a personality test, interview, and provide references.
Step 3: We will confirm your technical abilities with two simple Revit tests before providing the formal offer.